Aug 5, 2013

Walk the D Walk...

Friday I ran into WalMart with the hubby and my son. I needed to get a few things for the girls who are away at diabetes camp for the week!!! Woo hoo!! (and yet, here I am, not having to worry about ANYTHING D related and I'm writing this blog...it's a habit...can't help it!) So we parked the car and spotted an ambulance parked by the entrance with it's lights on. No telling what happened...our WalMart is ever so adventurous! We walked in and D smacked us in the face. This gentleman had passed out (but had come to by the time we entered) from a low. How do I know? The paramedics were pricking his finger and applying that little blob of blood on a test strip; asking him if he felt better. Instantly, Joe looked right at me. We don't even need to say a word. I get a little teary eyed and just keep walking. But my D Momma instincts were on high alert. I wanted to go over there and make sure that man was okay.

Isn't that one of our fears?

It is for me anyway. Not being able to help my girls if they go too low. Passing out. Not being able to get enough carbs in them to bring them up. Administering glucagon. Some of you are shaking your heads...you've been there and done that.

A few months ago, my hubby was able to assist an elderly gentleman who had a severe low and about cracked his head open on the floor of the local grocery store. He just happened to walk by this man and his wife and saw the man's legs give out. He was able to catch him. His wife said, "juice" and Joe laid him down on the floor and ran for the OJ aisle. Came back, pried his mouth open and forced OJ down this man's throat. He had called me right after as he was extremely shaken by the incident. I immediately teared up as we both were thinking the same thing...that could happen to our girls.

It's an incident that shakes us to our core. Sure, others could walk in and look at the man pricking his finger and go about there business. Not knowing what happened or caring less. But those of us that walk the D walk know all too well.

Diabetes is REAL.

It's SCARY.

It's LIFE altering.

It's DEADLY.

And since I can't seem to erase the WalMart scene from my head I will focus on my two girls who are having a BLAST at D camp this week. I know they are well cared for. They are surrounded by other diabetics and medical staff that can help if need be but still remembering that D can show it's ugly head when you least expect it.

and what am I still awake for?!?!? No midnight or 3am checks this week baby...off to relax...