Sep 18, 2012

S.uper I.nsulin S.isters!



 Walk Team 2012: Super Insulin Sisters!!


Back in April or May I registered our family walk team: Loving Nora, in our local JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes walk event. Little did I know then that we would be adding a new diabetic to our team, Evelyn. So instead of changing our team name right then, we waited to do our big reveal the day of the walk. In our sleep deprived state (we get rather slap happy) and S.I.S. (S.uper I.nsulin S.isters) was born. Our logo and capes for the T1D Hero's were designed. It was fun and a name both the girls liked. So it was a win-win! 

I know, for me, this was a rough day. It's always been Nora's day and now it's Nora AND Evy's day. And yes, I could be upset about the fact I'm walking for BOTH my girls. But, I was concerned with making sure both girls felt that the day was for the two of them (along with all the other T1D's). You throw in emotions, hormones and lows and it's a lethal cocktail. Nora loves her sister but she HATES D. She's mad that Evy has D. She knows what this diagnosis means and it translates to Nora being mad at Evy. I try to ask Nora her opinion on D related things that Evy may ask me. But it turns into a "all you ever talk about is D" and her leaving the room. I get that she needs to process it all. That she has to share her disease. It makes D a little less special when two kids have it in the family. 

I can't win. 

I can't make every one happy. Fundamentally I know this. It doesn't change the fact that I want my kids happy. Nor will it stop me from trying.

Don't get me wrong...we had a spectacular day! We had a big support system walking with us there and on-line. We raised lots of money and in some neat ways. The weather was absolutely beautiful. But part of me just couldn't "enjoy" it for what the day brings forth...hope! I'm too worried that my girls aren't feeling special. That they aren't enjoying the D day for all its worth. Because, Lord knows, there are enough crappy D days that anything we can do to make D better, like a walk, we want to live up. 

At least our first walk as S.I.S. is under our belt. I'll just hope and pray that this time next year we are a little more gel-ed as a walk team and...

That the girls can embrace D together. 

The good and the bad. 

The highs and the lows. 

The D life. Together. As Sister's. 


T1D Hero signs displayed along the bridge connecting Cincy and Newport.