Jan 22, 2013

the Diabetic Driver

I'm trying to figure something out...something I think is common sense but maybe it isn't.

One of the first things I thought about after we were released from the hospital with Evelyn after her diagnosis was DRIVING. Actually I thought about it in the ER as we were waiting to be admitted. My mind was working over time. Things that needed to be done, how to get her in contact with other T1 young adults, how fast I could get her on the pump etc. But, back to driving. I told her that there would be new rules on driving. (I know I didn't bring it up at the best time...I can't help how my mind works and things come out sometimes). It was important and I didn't want to forget it.

New Rules for Driving:

1. Test before you drive.

2. Treat accordingly.

3. If you feel you are having a low-pull over safely and check.

4. Don't drive until you feel better and you have checked your blood sugar to make sure it's in range.

5. You MUST have a Diabetic Driver window sticker attached to your car.

We have all seen the news reports of diabetics being beat or hit from police officers who take their hypoglycemia as resisting arrest. When something so simple as having a Diabetic Driver window sticker attached in a visible area (Evy has hers on the back window) would prevent the unnecessary violence and instead have the officer alert medical personnel or better yet, know to ask the driver if they are having a low.

It happens time and time again and doesn't have to.

I know some will say they don't want to advertise their diabetes.
If your willing to advertise your stick figure family, favorite band, radio station, how many marathons you've completed, how you love your dog/cat, favorite sports team/school, your Presidential candidate you voted for 12 years ago...why not advertise you are a Diabetic Driver?

Okay...you can't stand those stickers and you have a clean car...do you wear a medic ID alert? (You better have answered yes) then treat the Diabetic Driver window sticker as just that...a medic ID alert for your car.
This is so important for YOU, the other drivers and the police officers who could potentially pull you over!!

We ordered ours from Lauren's Hope. You can check it out here.

Diabetic Passenger Window StickerDiabetic Driver License Plate

This has been a NON-paid Public Service Announcement brought to you by a mother of two type 1 diabetics; one that drives and one that will one day. And a person who cares about ALL diabetics.