Feb 25, 2013

1-800...



Insurance...ya gotta love it. As most of you know our eldest is 18 years old (well...she would say she is 18 and a half which makes me 39 and a half but really? I gave up half birthdays years ago!) she has started getting personal mail from our insurance (we still carry her on ours) about managing her health condition. The letter welcomes her to their health program and states "based on your medical claims you may have a health condition (nah, you don't say) so we have matched you to a program that can help you now."

Now? Um...she was diagnosed in June of LAST year. But thanks for your letter and booklet in February of 2013! I would hope she received help by now! (and now that I think about it...I believe they sent something in July last year...at this point my brain is mush!)

I guess it's me. I get all defensive when this stuff comes in the mail. I remember the same kind of service was offered to us when Nora was diagnosed. I asked the nurse on the phone why would I call you when you've never seen my child, know nothing of her diabetes and yet feel you can give me advice? I would call her diabetes clinic before I would call some 1-800-Nurse-on-call (yes, I know...it's too many letters). She had no answer for me. Imagine...if I happened to call them AND the diabetes clinic and got differing views on treatment. It's confusing enough...why make it that much more? Especially for newly diagnosed???

I will step back, however, and give them kudos for at least knowing the difference and actually differentiating the different types of diabetes AND getting it right! It does provide tips for monitoring your blood sugar, exercising, taking your medicine, staying healthy, watching your feet and eye health. It even has a Kids' Corner that offers advice on sending your diabetic child to school and they do offer good tips! Good for you United Health Care!

I have to wonder how often these services are used. We are lucky to have a good diabetes clinic here for my girls so that their services are not needed. However, I also know the area in which I live being diagnosed as an adult has much improvement to be made. So in that I'm sure these services would be needed. It's a quick diagnosis with no hospital stay (for Type1's) and a bunch of info thrust upon you as you leave the hospital. Leaving many in a state of panic and helplessness. I just hope that the nurse on the line is caring and empowering to the newly diagnosed. I wish she knew about us, the DOC, so that she could tell them all about us and WE could give them the encouragement they need. That yes, it's scary but your not alone.

So I end with a thankfulness in my heart that my girls have a wonderful Endo and a good diabetes clinic, a sadness that not everyone does, a hopefulness that this program works for those that need it and a weariness that they offer good advice.