Feb 26, 2013

Everybody Knows Somebody #NEDAwarenes



This week brings awareness to a struggling sometimes taboo subject that potentially lingers in the background of diabetes. Eating Disorders. The theme this year is Everybody knows Somebody. Whether you, yourself, have one, a friend, a loved one have an eating disorder or poor self image, body issues or food issues. It seems as I am reading more posts about eating disorders and diabulimia in regards to diabetes. This week the National Eating Disorders Association is broadening its outreach efforts to include these topics and offer support to those who are struggling.

I never wanted food to be an issue for my kids and diabetes. When Children's was teaching us how to take care of Nora (she was 4 years old when diagnosed) the Nurse asked when do you want to bolus? Before or after a meal. I thought about it. I had a  picky eater who may or may not finish her meals. So I chose after because I didn't want to get into the habit of fighting about food. "You HAVE to finish your plate" or "fine, you can have smarties instead of finishing your dinner". I never wanted to create that monster. Now that she is older (she's 12) we are transitioning into the bolus before eating. ESPECIALLY if we know she is going to finish her meal. Be that good or bad it works for us. She has grown up knowing food is nourishment not something to fight over. Then I have my eldest who boluses before she eats. She's 18 so she can pretty well gauge what she is eating and know if she is going to finish it. However, it's still a struggle. There are times the girls may want ice cream, lets say, but they've had a crappy high blood sugar day and know it's probably not the best option as it may spike their blood sugars higher. So they choose the lower carb, high protein snack to help combat the highs. They are old enough to know how that all works and want to feel better by lowering their blood sugar to their range. In the end they are usually happy about their food choice. Food and diabetes just go hand in hand. The constant weighing, measuring, counting. I'm positive I think about food and healthy choices more than if my kids weren't diabetic. Which maybe isn't a bad thing...

If you have read this and clicked on the above link and thought hmm...I know someone or I am someone with an eating disorder please know you are not alone. There are wonderful resources out there for you to use and that is what this week is about in raising awareness but finding hope and happiness in living your life.