Jul 4, 2013

Got glucagon?

I'm not sure if you got a chance to read a blog post from Diabetes 24-7 but you can read it here. In a nutshell it's every diabetics nightmare...it's MY nightmare, as a caregiver.

I've got glucagon.

Luckily, knock on wood, I've never needed to use it (unless we had to administer mini glucagon to raise blood sugars to get rid of ketones). I carry one with me should I ever need to use it. I keep the expired ones. I open them up. I "play" with them. I go over the instructions. I mix the glucagon. I fill the syringe. I get familiar with it. Because I know I won't be in a good mind set to go over those instructions in case of an emergency. I'm not gonna lie. Glucagon is scary. The red box looks scary. The needle looks scary. But I want to be able to use it with confidence.



The article reminds people to fill their glucagon prescription. Do you have one? Do you know how to use it?

It also shares this really cool app (let's face it...we are totally app crazy) from Lilly on how to use the Glucagon. You can download it here. (It's only available for iPhone devices as for now)

This app is great in case you don't have an expired glucagon to practice on. Once you practice on the app it will ask you if you would like to set a reminder for 3 months out to do another practice. Of course you can practice as much as you want. You can add your kits and expiration date and set up a reminder to refill. I'm not getting paid to endorse this app. I like it because I can make a scary, intimidating red glucagon box into a confidence builder. And I want to share this with you...download it, use it and gain your own confidence!