Nov 2, 2013

What I Want You To Know

Hi,

You are reading this because you are or have a love one who has diabetes. You may be reading this because a friend or family member sent this to you. You may be reading this because you are bored. Whatever the reason...I have your attention. November is Diabetes Awareness Month. If you fall into the category of not knowing about this disease; count yourself lucky. Please indulge the diabetes community this one month to post facts, dispel myths and give you a glimpse of what it's like to fight diabetes 365/24/7. My hope is that we are able to educate at least one person who can be a champion in diabetes awareness.

These are some things I would like you to know:

1. NO ONE causes themselves to get diabetes. I don't care what Type.

2. Eating sugar does not cause diabetes.

3. Diabetes canNOT be reversed or outgrown.

4. Diet DOES help all types of diabetes...but doesn't diet help us all? Diabetes or not?

5. Diabetes is not "One Size Fits All". Every diabetic is different. Believe me, I know. Having two Type 1 daughters who eat the same thing and blood sugars do two different things.

6. Diabetics can eat anything they want in moderation and you can too! They just need some insulin or a pill to help cover the food they eat.

7. Diabetes has a mind of its own. Seriously.

8. Diabetes is a chronic illness and can be life threatening at any given time.

9.People with diabetes and caregivers welcome questions not judgement.

10. Diabetes can strike anyone, of any age, of any race, at any time.

I could go on but I want you to let these settle in. The next time you hear "oh, I have diabetes" or "oh, Little Suzy was just diagnosed" stop and think about some of these facts and know that it wasn't their fault.

Thank you.