Dec 18, 2013

So it's been a while...I was going gung ho in November trying to write posts that could be shared with people who maybe just didn't get diabetes...trying to educate just one person. It was going well, World Diabetes Day was fantastic here in Cincinnati and the next day I took my girls in for their 3 month check up. Both visits went well. Changes to basal and sensitivity were made. But I have one who is in the throngs of teenage stuff. Add diabetes. And well...if you have a teenager and you're reading this I know your shaking your head and giving me a gentle pat on the back. For those who don't have one yet. Enjoy it...it comes too fast. I want to share that visit with you but really need to find the right words. So I will save that for another post. Don't worry...all is good...I promise! What I DO want to share with you was the CWD: Focus on Technology Conference that was here in Cincy at the beginning of December.



The morning kicked off with keynote speaker: Dr. Jeremy Pettus who has Type 1 diabetes himself; diagnosed at the age of 16. He shared his diabetes background and the important piece he made sure we walked away with was that even he STILL has bad days. No matter how hard we try, as caregivers, there are still going to be bad days. We all know D has a mind of its own and that doesn't change when our kids grow up, move out and have careers.

The second session I attended was Advanced Pumping Concepts with Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE. I've heard him speak before and he is a fountain of knowledge. My head was literally spinning after his session. Even with 8 1/2 years in and pumping 6 of those years, there is ALWAYS something new to learn.

The next session was Dealing with Diabetes Burnout with Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD, CDE and Korey Hood, PhD who was also Type 1. I went into this session thinking I would get some tips on how to work through burnout...(see opening paragraph...teenager!!!). But it turned into burnout for the caregiver. Whether that was the original intention or not it was eye opening. We struggle, or at least I do. I won't show it unless I'm VERY tired. But the frustration, jealousy, resentment of this stupid disease is felt by all of us. In our family, I know my husband is the one that suffers. Meaning, I'm so busy worrying about the kids and their needs that I put our marriage on the back burner. It made me realize how much of a wonderful man I married. Who is supportive in everything and doesn't mind being put last. (I decided to schedule a surprise date night a few weeks later and we BOTH loved it!!) This topic is really its own separate blog post. So I'll save it for a future edition.

The afternoon session was Puberty and Adolescence: Mind and Body. This was also a good topic. Yes, I was a teenager...(it wasn't THAT long ago) but dealing with all the puberty issues, peers, mean girls, teenage crap on top of diabetes just sucks. It's easy to look at those years now and realize all that stuff doesn't matter but it does matter to them...especially since they are dealing with it right now. I've tried to be more supportive when stories/issues are shared with me. To let her know I'm here and listening and care.

Then evening session was Parents of Teens Discussion Group. This was one of THE best sessions. It has changed my approach on how I act and respond. What made this session even better was that two out of three speakers had Type 1 (Natalie Bellini, BSN, RN, CDE and Marissa Town, BSN, RN). They shared how the tone of how you ask what your kids blood sugar is or how you react to a blood sugar reading translates to feelings of failure or hostility. An
d that is totally true. How many times have I said, "What's your blood sugar?" and as nice as I try and say it, it comes out demanding. Or the reaction to a blood sugar over 300, "What did you do?" as if it is my daughters fault. So I have tried to ask nicely when I ask for their blood sugars. I wait patiently. Receive the number (NO reaction), thank them and move on. It has seemed to work.

I want to wrap up as this has become quite lengthy and if you're still here reading...thank you for your time! I have much more to share...like how I met some DOC peeps (and we all know how awesome that is!!) So I'll sign off for now and try not to be away for too long!