Dec 30, 2013

Blood, Sweat and Heels....A look back at 2013

So, I rarely if ever have the opportunity to blog. Long story, but it has been almost an impossibility for me to share any of my feelings or weirdness online for a very long time. That has finally been changed and I am free to roam about the devil webs....so to speak...blog...er, whatever....

When we conceptualized Blue Heel Society, it was something I couldn't get out of my head. I slept, shopped, talked NON stop about what this little *whatever this is* and what it meant to me. It was my way of doing something about my situation. My child was going to live his life with diabetes, and I couldn't stop that. I couldn't fix it. I was determined to not be destroyed by guilt or blame. I'll let you know how that works out....HA! I want to say thank you to the people who make this happen......

Let us talk about 2013...in short, what a freaking long year. So much to say....I'll try and be brief.....or at least not boring.....maybe.

Jen Loving. Jen, I simply cannot blog, write, speak, draw, or sign what an amazing inspirational person you are to me. I watch you and your family shine with light divine. The character, the dedication, the impossible wit, the smiles, the education, the effort, all of it, you do so well, seamless. YOU are Blue Heel Society personified. I am blessed beyond description to have you post naughty threads on my Facebook wall. I love you.

Thomas Moore. Tom,  Words like dedicated and brave fail to offer up adequate descriptions of just who you are. Sweet, shy, humble, gracious, tenacious, you have gifted me with a friendship that is to be envied. I wish you nothing shy of the brightest star for you to reach. You battled cancer, diabetes, moving, kids, grandkids, the loss of a beloved family patriarch, and yet remained as committed to stomping out myths and misconceptions about diabetes and for that, and so much more, I love you.

Luminaries. These dedicated men and women take diabetes by the test strips and CHANGE what people know, think they know, and in doing so, make our little world a better place. I wish each of you, and your families to find love and compassion, friendship and fellowship in the new year. May you each feel my unwavering support, love and friendship.

DOC. With you, I simply cannot fail. My child owes his life to you. I am honored and humbled at your support.

Last, but not least. Tony Cervati.

Tony, when I first met you ( albeit virtually, not in real life) in 2010, I remembered hanging up the phone that morning, feeling like I had just spoken to my best friend. I remember thinking that every word you uttered to me was being burned into my soul to carry forever. Your words were like weapons and you gave me an arsenal to fight off the grief and shame, and the fear. You gave me hope. Our friendship was and is the most valuable thing I was ever given, after my kiddo got the 'betes.  As our friendship grew, and we talked more, well, who knew?? Apparently everyone online, and in real life.....I fell in love with you, fell completely head over heels....in love, and never looked back....

Guess what folks? He put a ring on it....and now I am Mrs. Type 1 Rider. Best day of my life.

Thank you Tony, for seeing me in a flattering light, for standing by my side, for wanting to walk my mile, with me, beside me. I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you.


And to my mother, Judy, bless your heart. You still take my calls. Thank you.

Love and kisses,

Mrs. Anthony (Diane) Cervati