Dec 29, 2013

Burnout...the Caregiver episode

Everyone talks about burnout and it's always in regards to the diabetic and their burnout. Never have I ever thought about burnout as a caregiver. I mean, I just do what needs to be done kinda like fixing dinner. You just do it (unless you eat out all the time---lucky you!) But when I was at the CWD: Focus on Technology Conference earlier this month I attended a session about burnout. I thought it was how to get through burnout with your diabetic kid but it turned into burnout for the caregiver. Duh! Novel concept. I'm so worried about my kids that I don't think about myself. And how many of us do that. Put ourselves last? I know I sure do.

I do know that on the rare occasion I get a moment to myself I feel instantly better; almost renewed. Especially if I get a run in...which I haven't been able to do in months. The hour I give myself to not think about anything or sometimes I am able to save all the worlds problems in an hour run only to rush off to the next thing I have to take care of. It's amazing on what even a few minutes you allow yourself to have can do for you. Now with the holidays upon us I feel pulled in a million different directions. I'm trying to enjoy the moment but some days its just hard.

The other topic that came up was our spouses. What...who? Oh, yea, I have this amazing guy I've been married to for almost 20 years and I forget about him sometimes. He is always so supportive of me and all my crazy volunteer functions and events I do and hardly ever complains. He just lets me do my thing. But I know when I've gone a little over the edge and I've had enough I start to snap at him. Poor guy. Spouse time is important. It's nice to be able to have an adult conversation withOUT interruption or sometimes we just sit and enjoy the silence. It just so happened his favorite band was coming into town and coming to a local venue we practically lived at while we were dating. I made arrangements for a surprise date night. I bought the tickets and surprised him the day of the event. He was so happy. We felt like young kids again! I know we won't be able to go out on date nights all the time but even if we can go get a cup of coffee and get away for just 30 minutes it will help.



So my challenge to you is this...find YOU time. Whether that's a get-a-way, movie night, lunch date, locking the bathroom door for 10 minutes of privacy...whatever it is...FIND IT! Then if you want, feel free to post, share or inspire others to do the same! Good luck!