May 14, 2014

#DBlogWeek day 3: What Brings Me Down

Ugh...I try not to get myself in that hole but I'll do it for the sake of blogging.

What brings me down is my 13 year old struggling.

Struggling to be a "normal" 13 year old.

Wanting to go be wild and carefree but has to bring her ball and chain (pump and supplies) with her everywhere she goes.

Seeing how she gets down on herself because she is different.

Looking in her eyes and knowing that she is scared. Scared of what diabetes can do.

Knowing that she is wise beyond her years.

Having to deal with shit that no 13 year old should have to deal with.

Coming to terms that no matter how much I blog, advocate and submerge myself in the D world...I have NO idea what it's like.

Hugging her tight when she is crying that diabetes sucks and she hates it and doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

Watching her sacked out on the couch because her BG is high, she has ketones and her body is tired.

Suffering from high blood sugars but not wanting to wake me at 5am because she wants me to sleep.

You know me...I can't end on a downer.

What lifts me up is:

Her smile.

Her laughter.

Her "thank you" after I treat her low at 3am.

Her kindness.

Her soft heart for others.

Her friendship to others newly diagnosed.

Her tenacity to NEVER GIVE UP!

Her willingness to let me nag her when needed and even when it isn't needed.

Her hugs.

Her love.