Dec 11, 2011

Big Blue Steps

Under normal circumstances,  we tend to post generically on the blog, but for tonight I will to post as me, Diane, because I want to talk about my first true experience as an advocate.  I had the pleasure on Saturday to attend a diabetes charity spin-a-thon at Gold's Gym in Burlington, NC.

Did I mention this is my first time officially doing this, if not I will probably mention this again.

How does one dress for a spin class, exactly?  Skinny jeans, wool blazer, pink Blue Heel Society shirt, and blue stilettos.  Natch.  In truth, I DID pack yoga pants and sneakers, but was secretly grateful I didn't have to be seen in public in them.

We arrived at the gym in time to meet Katie-Rose Darby, the manager of fundraising and special events coordinator for the ADA in Raleigh, NC.  Minutes into our conversation, I warmed up to her personally and professionally.  She is passionate about her job and fundraising, while at the same time being personable, approachable, and ridiculously adorable.  Felt like I made a friend and an ally, all in the same person.

Throughout the morning the class was peppered with people donating their money and spending their time spinning for a cause near and dear to my heart.  I got to personally thank them for their efforts.  On a microphone.  With a southern accent.  To people that had a southern accent.

And it still freaked me out. Did I mention this was my first public speaking "gig"??

Tony Cervati was the "celebrity" motivational speaker....and my friends, he is just that. Motivating. Moving. Brutally honest, sincere, and grateful. Impressed would be an understatement for what I felt watching him interact with these amazing people.

Despite my outwardly vocal position on social networking sites, public speaking isn't something that I engage in or feel comfortable with.  However, it was important to go out and say thank you on behalf of my son, and for everyone who has posted a picture of a blue shoe.  Everyone who has stuck a finger.  Everyone who has left a comment...

I wasn't looking to go out there and promote the Blue Heel Society, so much as I was there to thank them on behalf of all of you... the members of BHS.

I wanted to tell them my story.  Once I started, I began to get teary, as I quickly realized that they all had their own stories too.  Just like mine.  Yet different.

Just like diabetes.

I just wanted to hug all their necks.

The two women who road all 4 hours.  The woman from Elon college.  The people who volunteered to be the ride leaders.  The pharmaceutical rep, Rick, and his wife, Heidi, for sharing their personal stories and supporting all the attendees.  Michelle, the Gold's Gym employee who brought her children to work there as volunteers as she oversaw the entire event.

Half way through the ride, a very spirited blond "Belle" made her presence known in the facility, and commented on my 5" blue heels.  We exchanged banter about how blue shoes go with everything.  I said sheepishly that I have a specific reason for wearing blue heels.  She took the bait and asked me what it was. She permitted me to give the thumbnail of just what the Blue Heel Society was, who I was, and why I was there.

After mingling for 30 minutes or more with the people coming in and out, and the employees, she came over and handed me her business card.  Turns out she is the co owner of this facility.  I thanked Ms. Pat for letting the ADA use her gym for a diabetes related function.


She had on red heels that day, but I would imagine the next time I see her she will be wearing blue ones.

Point of this blog... and I do have one... is that even if you don't know it, diabetes is everywhere.