Jun 20, 2012

It's a matter of...

trust.

Yep, Evelyn is at her first sleep over since diagnosis. It feels completely different than if say, Nora, was at a sleep over. I'm a little worried. She takes her Lantus shot at 11pm. And someone other than herself gives her this shot. It hurts. She yelps. Then it's over. Thing is. Her friend doesn't like shots. Although she told her she would try it. A little comfort is that her Dad is a Neurologist. So at least he could inject her if her friend can't do it. But I'm waiting by my phone until 11pm to make sure I don't need to run out and give it to her. Which I gladly would do!

Even as I'm sitting here writing this it seems so foreign. Would I ever just let Nora and her friend try to figure out who would be administering her Lantus shot? Hell NO!! But of course Nora is 11. Evelyn is 18. If Nora was spending the night I would be a nervous wreck (not so much with a new pump site and fresh CGM sensor) but I would be sleeping with my phone in my hand just in case. Making sure she calls at Midnight to check in. Calling the first thing in the morning BEFORE she eats breakfast. Getting super pissed because she doesn't have her phone glued to her hand so I can text her and make sure she is okay. I do give Nora some freedom. She is 11. She's had D for 7 years. She is responsible. She does have a pump and CGM. But she is soooo up and down. And especially now that hormones are running a muck!

But with Evelyn I a little more laid back. In fact I scare myself with how laid back I am. She is honeymooning so her numbers aren't all wack a doodle. Maybe I'm laid back because she knows what she needs to do. She's seen her sister doing it for 7 years. The only thing she is struggling with is writing in her log book. I'm no better. When you have Nora on the pump there is no need to write anything down. It's all stored in the pump. If this is the only area that needs improvement, I'll take it! She has taken to her role as SELF caregiver. I'm sure it's because she has helped her sister and that is definitely an advantage. She won't share her food. She measures out her portions at home. She even measured out her Cheerios and put them in a baggie to take to her friends house. I'm telling you she is not a normal teenager. Never has been!! She has taken to this role wonderfully and I am one proud Momma.

Now, I gotta run and make sure she gets her Lantus shot!!