Jun 16, 2012

What would we ever do without...


TECHNOLOGY!

I'm not even talking about diabetic technology...shocking isn't it!? Can't believe I'm NOT talking about something that doesn't have to do with pumps, CGM's or blood glucose meters. I'm talking about iPod technology! Yea, yea...iPod's are great but let me tell you why I'm super excited today about iPod's.

Nora has this friend of hers who happens to be her age and also has diabetes. I met her lovely mum on a diabetic facebook group. She had posted a pic of her daughter and I knew that our daughter's would be instant friends, diabetic Pen Pals! Oh, and did I mention she lives in Canada and we live in Southern Ohio? No chance for a meet up anytime soon.

So, they traded e-mail address and eventually started iMessaging and then today they had Facetime!! For those who don't know what that is it's like Skype for iPod's. They can have a conversation while looking at each other. Soooo Cool!!! They chatted for what seemed like forever, took a break for dinner and then chatted again!

I'm just amazed (and really I shouldn't be) at how far technology has come and something so simple...the iPod, has turned into something amazing and therapeutic for my daughter. (Now, before someone goes all crazy on me, we have known stipulations on usage and she knows its a privilege NOT a right to use her iPod. We control settings etc and have an open conversation about contacts and whom she is allowed to talk with and whom she isn't. I'm not a perfect parent, nor am I naive but trust has to start somewhere. This is the end of my PSA!)

Back to my excitement!

 Snail mail is great (who doesn't love getting a special card in the mail), e-mails are great too but the fact that my daughter can talk to and see her girlfriend in the same room whose hundreds of miles away is pretty darn cool!! So today D can stick it  because technology wins and D friends can talk, share and be SEEN!!

Facetime!