Jul 10, 2012

Happy 4th of July?!?

uh, yea, NOT!!

So I have to start off with an apology. I've not blogged in a while...life has gotten the best of me. Hubby went out of town for a week (the first time ever he has traveled for work and the first time we've been apart that long in 18 years!!), take kids here, there and everywhere, hubby comes home, a 100+ year old tree falls on our house, blood sugars soar...ya know, just regular life in the Loving family!!

Tree on our house!


Which brings me to July 4th...everyone is off work and home. We had planned on meeting up with some friends at the local parade. Nora had been running high most of the night. She had just done her pump site change early that day so just kept correcting and running temp basals throughout the night thinking she would come down.

Her pump alarms high around 4:30am-ish I do the correction set temp basal and go back to bed. Around 8am she wakes me up crying, says she's been up since 5:30am (little booger suffered for 2+ hours because she didn't want to bother me!!)  that she feels awful and she is running high. So we check blood sugar, she's around 500!! and she tells me she might throw up. We do an immediate pump site change again and no sooner did I get that sucker primed and she's running to the toilet throwing up. Grrr!! I immediately think $#@% ketones!! And, yep, she had 'em...LARGE!! I pull out my "SOKS" flow chart and figure out her syringe dose to administer and give her the "start downing water" speech I give every time she has ketones so she can flush those babies out and we can avoid a trip to the ER, on 4th of July.

Once she settles down she takes out her pump site that she has had on maybe 24 hours, if that, and lets me know there was a bent cannula. Poor thing wasn't getting all her insulin! Oh technology, how I love and loathe thee!! She eventually flushed the ketones down the drain but we never did get her below 200 UNTIL the very next morning. Despite her new site change and syringe injections, D was not playing nice.

It kicked her ass that day.

It wiped her out.

It took my happy go lucky, more energy than the Energizer Bunny, baby girl and zapped her.

No parade.

No fun.

Just chillin' on the couch watching Spiderman 3.

Making some yummy fruit kabobs and helping me make a batch of mini pineapple upside down cakes.
                                                 











It's one thing to choose to have a "Do Nothing" day and quite another to have D sideline you just to rain on your parade...literally! I usually like to end my D rants with an upside but I got nuttin'! Six days later and I'm still mad at D!!

No breaks.

No vacations.

No holidays.

F U D!!