Jul 12, 2012

Sleepovers

Sleepovers are a great thing. Especially if your kid gets to go to someone else's house!!

But you throw in a kid with T1D and sleepovers can be a nightmare.

As a Mom or Dad you want to let the family your T1D child is sleeping over at how serious diabetes is without freaking them out too much OR being too lax. HOWEVER, if your T1D has a friend who just happens to  have T1D too...well, that's just frickin' AWESOME!! Nora had a sleepover with one of her T1D besties and I felt... relieved.

I could breathe a little easier. I knew they "got" it. They would make sure she was okay, checking her blood sugars, treating her highs/lows, knowing the signs!! ahh...sigh... :)

This family gave me a night off!! (Well, I still had to get up and check Evelyn but still!!) Nora called at midnight to check in and then text me first thing in the morning before breakfast.

It was wonderful!! They went to a local lake and went tubing. They had a blast and I didn't have to worry! I seriously hope that your T1D's are blessed to find a special diabetes friend that they can bond with and then you can swap kids with to give the parents a break. This is so important. Not only for the kids but for the parents too. So thank you Rieder family for giving me a break and letting Nora spend the night/day with you!! We treasure your friendship...truly!!  Oh, and it's our turn to give you a break!! :)

Tubing T1D's!!