Jul 31, 2012

What's for me might not be for you!

Many of you, I'm sure, have been invited to participate in the Second Annual Diabetic Ice Cream Social. This event was created, by our lovely BHS friend, Lizmari Collazo, last year due to some MISeducated idiot who compared giving ice cream to a diabetic the same as giving booze to an alcoholic. Many of us fought back, in fact, nearly 2,500 people with ALL types of diabetes and their friends and family, with a big ole FU and an ice cream lick. So it's that time of year again. And it seems to be creating quite the controversy. And that tells me this event IS something good if it creates some scandal!

"We diabetics love life, and can enjoy ANYTHING anyone else does, so long as we account and manage our carbohydrates properly." 

"This event is meant to showcase that we can LIVE, and THRIVE as Diabetics, and enjoy ourselves...That we do not have limits on life, and that we can live within our boundaries of MODERATION, education, and COMMON SENSE...."

"It doesn't matter how you eat your ice cream...have one scoop or two...Heck, you can even have a DIFFERENT TREAT...the point is...WE DIABETICS ARE CREATIVE, SAVVY AND WE HAVE OPTIONS...AND WE KNOW OUR BODIES."

These quotes are taken directly from the event page, you can find it here.

Again, people are misunderstanding this event. Some are calling this event childish, some are saying hurtful unnecessary things. Bottom line: if you don't agree with it DON"T do it!! Our family celebrates ice cream EVERYDAY!! Gasp!! Scandalous...isn't it?! There is no more than 1 cup scooped out per day, per kid. And yes, it's a measured 1 cup. I don't limit what my kids can and can't eat. We deal with it, carb counts, highs/lows, all of it. The minute I start putting limitations on what they eat is the minute they will find it at someone else's house and eat it OR start sneaking it...NOT an option. All of my kids are lean and HEALTHY! And guess what? If I stop letting my kids eat ice cream or any food for that matter...THEY WILL STILL HAVE DIABETES!! Taking food away from them doesn't get rid of their diabetes!!

I invite you to participate in the Diabetic Ice Cream Social and if you don't want to, I respect your right not to but I caution you to not be our food police; we can manage just fine. Politely decline and let us have our ice cream!