Jul 30, 2012

When D-Mommas meet up!


The other day I had a chance to meet up with a fellow D-Momma! We were already facebook friends and she was moving into my area and was able to make a handful of Ohio D-Mommas before she even moved to the state. I tried to think of a place to meet...kept going between a bar (because, truly, I need a stiff drink with this summer I am having) or a restaurant that has killer dessert. Dessert won because I had to drive home and of course I'm always leering of drinking just one too many in case of low blood sugar checks through the night and yada, yada, you all know!! We met at Cheesecake Factory (how could you go wrong there?!?) and you would've thought we've known each other forever!! But meeting other D-Mommas are kinda like that. We had a 50 minute wait...I know, long wait but we talked the entire time and it didn't even seem like 50 minutes. We ordered our meals, desserts and CLOSED the place down. I kid you not! I had my phone out because Nora was at a sleepover and wanted to make sure I was available if she needed me. I happened to look at the clock and couldn't believe it!! What fun!! The nice thing, well, there are several nice things:

1. I got out of the house!!! 
2. We talked about our kids and their diabetes (but only a little bit) 
3. We had a NORMAL conversation!!! 
4. I felt like Jen, the Jen before diabetes took over our life.

For as much as I love to talk about Diabetes, it's nice to just BE. D will ALWAYS be there. But to share a night out with a fellow D-Momma who just gets all of it is truly priceless! So welcome to Ohio, Kristen, I'm so glad we met up and I'm glad to call you my friend! (Next time I may need a DD-designated driver! Funny how DD had different meanings for us in the DOC!!)