Aug 19, 2014

Guest post from Lizmari: Doctor Spock and the Case of the 'Mild Diabetes'

Doctor Spock and the Case of ‘Mild Diabetes’
About a month ago, I started visiting a new medical facility; a sliding scale facility different than the usual ‘free clinic’ I used to attend. The ‘free clinic’ had a lot of bad aspects to it, such as a long wait for medical care. But it also had one wonderful thing going for it: its volunteers – people who really believed in helping patients and making health care accessible to all. These volunteers were excellent at people skills, reached out to others, and helped many of us be our own care providers – especially those of us struggling with diabetes. I had built a trusted relationship with them where I didn’t have to constantly argue my points, or push my arguments.

Sadly, the free clinic is no longer operating. The sliding scale clinic is the new gig in town, and I no longer have many options in clinicians. I am now at the mercy of a doctor who I will call Doctor Spock. Doctor Spock is not an M.D.; she’s a P.A. Almost as a kind of uncertainty about her role as a professional, she doesn’t seem to care for the patient as an ‘expert’ in their own self care. She wants to have full and unquestionable authority. Of course, I am well aware of people who educate themselves loosely with the internet, and don’t allow medical professionals to be medical professionals – but let’s face it: we, type 2 diabetics, don’t exactly get the most information from our medical providers and often that information is flat out wrong or outdated. On top of that, we’re only presented with the point of view of the American Diabetes Association – and not of other, also well respected, diabetes advisory organizations. We have no choice but to look elsewhere for our learning, so there has to be an open dialogue with our providers.

Doctor Spock is relentless. She doesn’t seem to care much for my decisions: “Why do you test so many times a day – when you could just test once?” “Why do you want to be on such a high dose of Metformin XR, when you could be lower?” “There’s no need to be on Metformin XR… you don’t need that, I won’t give it to you.” Of course, I had the better answers, so I won those arguments, but I absolutely hated that she thought I could control my diabetes with just one strip a day. I simply told her I disagreed with her assessment. “I have to know what my numbers are in order to better control them.” In disbelief over my numbers, she seemed to almost roll her eyes. “Wow, people don’t really have 140 as a top glucose number. That’s a hard thing to do for most people.” Everything was an argument with Doctor Spock.

I sat in her office, annoyed at her stupid questions. She sizes me up, and with a sterile disposition, asks me about my weight: “You are 37 years old, and have a BMI of 48. What do you have to say for yourself?” What do I have to say for myself? How about that I’m a survivor of maternal neglect, of being given soda constantly as an infant, of dealing with endless trauma related to conditions like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? How about “I have deeply ingrained food/behavioral issues?” How does one easily explain oneself to a stranger? A judgmental stranger? How does one explain 30 some years of struggle – of hurt and psychological disordered eating? How does one say “I don’t need to explain myself to you. I can tell you my story, but I don’t OWE you an explanation.” How does one say “I deserve patient dignity?”

On my chart, she marked me as having ‘mild’ diabetes because 140 mg/dL is my glucose goal, and not 180. It might seem like a silly thing, but later when I got home and read it I could feel the outrage flowing through me. ‘Mild diabetes.’ Sure, it’s better than ‘non-compliant…’ but obviously she doesn’t know the A1C I had at diagnosis – or can’t fathom it. Obviously she doesn’t understand that these numbers aren’t ‘a given.’ I work for these numbers. They don’t magically happen – the diabetes gods don’t bestow them upon me. I work very aggressively at these numbers because I don’t have ‘mild diabetes.’

*Sigh* I must remember to breathe in, and breath out. I must remember that at the end of the day, this woman supposedly wants to help me. It’s going to take some time and work to get adjusted to Doctor Spock. Like many a doctor I’ve encountered, she doesn’t seem to be much in the know about modern type 2 diabetes management. It bothers me how hard some medical professionals make management for us. One strip a day? Seriously? Why not give me a bicycle with just one wheel. Same thing really.


We should have education as to what testing is for, and access to ALL the strips we need. No questions asked. Alas, this is the rub of having type 2 diabetes. A patient with type 2 diabetes is a patient that often gets little respect, little trust in their own self knowledge, little dialogue, little to no tools… and a LOT of blame. I gathered my thoughts as best I could, all emotions aside, and I let her know my view. I ‘explained myself’ to her.  To my surprise, she became a bit more flexible and open minded. I might be able to train her after all.