Aug 25, 2014

Michelle Monday - Managing Diabetes in Turbulent Times

Managing Diabetes in Turbulent Times
by Michelle Chase
I was asked to join the Blue Heel Society E-Magazine as a contributing writer earlier this summer, and fully expected to have several articles written and submitted by now.
Unfortunately my life has been so full of strife right now with the illness of my grandmother and her end of life issues that the very last thing on my mind has been diabetes. Yet I HAVE to pay attention to it or I will become ill myself.
It makes me wonder how does the rest of the diabetes community manage their disease in stressful or difficult personal times?
Diabetes care is always there, like tying my shoes, brushing my teeth, but I find as my attention is drawn and needed elsewhere, I can't find time or energy to evaluate my glucose patterns, my eating habits, or insulin usage.
I'm grateful for my endocrinologist at times like this, actually glad to have a half hour to spend on just me, look at glucose patterns, insulin patterns on my pump, and discuss my nutrition.
When my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I had been type 2 diabetic on oral meds only for 5yrs. My diabetic diet went out the window and I became a closet stress eater as I counted all his carbs, made healthy food choices for my family, and my health deteriorated.
It wasn't too many years later that I started insulin therapy.
I noticed today that I was stress eating. After losing 40lbs in the last year, and still losing, I'm recently snacking, forgetting to check my blood sugar, and feeling exhausted. (Wonder why lol!)     
So, as a reminder to myself and a shout out to other people with diabetes for suggestions, this is my first submission to the Blue Heel Society Magazine. A shameful confession. I WILL get back on track starting now. Time to test my blood sugar.
---------------------------------------------------------
About Michelle: My name is Michelle Chase. I live in Southern New Hampshire and am a type 2 diabetic for 18yrs, mom of a son, Ryan, 26yo with type 1 diabetes for 14yrs. Some days I feel like I breathe diabetes. I am 46yo and married to Shaun, 48yo, who has ridden this roller coaster of life with me for 25yrs. We've been married 20yrs. I have two rare medical conditions aside from the diabetes and have had a near fatal car accident that left me with mobility issues. My son Ryan has had type 1 since 2/15/00 and has had psoriatic arthritis for 12yrs. I hope to be able to shed some light on the life of an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic who cared for a type 1 diabetic. Life is certainly interesting that's for sure!!