Aug 15, 2014

Meet Michelle Chase


Meet Michelle Chase

BHS: Please tell us your connection with diabetes?

MC: My name is Michelle Chase, I am a 46yo married mom of one, my son Ryan is 26yo, and has had type 1 diabetes since 2/15/00. 14yrs. A date I will never forget. I have had type 2 diabetes for approximately 18 years. Funny how I can't remember the date I was diagnosed but remember every second of the day my son was diagnosed. Must be a " D mom" thing. Or maybe just a "mom" thing! My husband Shaun is 48, and is a real balance to my "crazy D nerves" even after all these years!! He's cool as a cucumber in the worst situations.

BHS: What general geographic location do you reside?
MC: We live in Southwestern New Hampshire in a small historic town.

BHS: What blue shoe (Heel, Sneaker,Riding shoe, etc.) suits you & Why?
MC:  My favorite blue shoe would be my walking sneakers. My warrior sneakers as my sister calls them. The shoes I had to learn to walk again in after a near fatal devastating car accident seven years ago. I've always been a runner, loved to hike, walk, very active in the outdoors until my accident. I'm unable to walk very far without assistance or taking a break, but I swim, and that's the best I can do!! :)

BHS: What does advocacy mean to you?
MC: I have been an advocate for children with all kinds of illnesses since my son was diagnosed with diabetes. I worked with the JDRF delivering bags of hope, I worked with parents of kids and with newly diagnosed adults with type 1 insulin in the doctors office I worked at, teaching injection techniques, sharing tricks and ideas for diabetes issues that cause concern.

I've worked on programs with the lawmakers in our state to provide more support systems for kids with all sorts of chronic illnesses and their parents. I've done grass roots advocacy from driving patients to appointments to going to the state house and meeting with our individual lawmakers and our state senator explaining the needs of kids with chronic illnesses. I have organized two JDRF walks for diabetes, run youth group in our town for kids, and even organized a first aid class for my youth group with a focus on things like asthma and diabetes emergency management. Advocacy to me means helping others find their strength and their voice, and when they are weak, being that voice for a time until they get their strength back.

BHS: Words of wisdom/encouraging statement/general statement about diabetes?
MC: I guess if I had any words of wisdom regarding diabetes it would be to become stronger than the disease itself. Even if you feel defeated, realize that tomorrow is another day, and a lot of good changes can happen in 24 hours!! Staying mentally positive can make positive physical changes in your life.

About Michelle: My name is Michelle Chase. I live in Southern New Hampshire and am a type 2 diabetic for 18yrs, mom of a son, Ryan, 26yo with type 1 diabetes for 14yrs. Some days I feel like I breathe diabetes. I am 46yo and married to Shaun, 48yo, who has ridden this roller coaster of life with me for 25yrs. We've been married 20yrs. I have two rare medical conditions aside from the diabetes and have had a near fatal car accident that left me with mobility issues. My son Ryan has had type 1 since 2/15/00 and has had psoriatic arthritis for 12yrs. I hope to be able to shed some light on the life of an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic who cared for a type 1 diabetic. Life is certainly interesting that's for sure!!