Aug 8, 2014

Meet Sue Rericha



Sue will be providing Articles for time to time for our eMagazine. 
To get to know Sue a little better, we asked her to tell us a little bit about her:


BHS: Please tell us your connection with diabetes?


Sue: My first experience with diabetes would be my grandfather who had Type 2. My mom also has Type 2 diabetes. During all five of my pregnancies (1993-2004) I had gestational diabetes. Knowing that my chances were higher of developing Type 2 due to genetics as well as my own history, my own diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes in 2008 wasn't a total surprise. However, being only two weeks before my 38th birthday, I was hoping that genetics would wait a few more decades.


BHS: What general geographic location do you reside?


Sue: I live in a rural midwestern town with my husband and our five children as well as our variety of pets. At this time we have two dogs, a cat, several fish, five lizards, a toad, a chinchilla, and a hedgehog.


BHS: What blue shoe (Heel, Sneaker,Riding shoe, etc.) suits you & Why?


Sue: As a mom of five on the go, I'm not really into heels. My favorite pair of blue shoes would be a comfy pair of slip on sneakers.


BHS: What does advocacy mean to you?


Sue: For me advocacy is about education and dissolving myths. There is so much misinformation out there, especially regarding Type 2. I didn't cause this due to my eating habits and lifestyle. My Type 2 diabetes is the result of genetics, just like my hazel eyes and brown hair.


BHS: Please share with us your Blog/Website/Twitter/Organization?


Sue: My blog just got an update with a new name. Diabetes Ramblings, formerly known as RFamHere's Ramblings can be found at www.diabetesramblings.com.  Facebook: www.facebook.com/DiabetesRamblings Twitter: @RFamsRamblings  I'm also one of the writers at The Type 2 Experience http://thetype2experience.com/


BHS: Words of wisdom/encouraging statement/general statement about diabetes?


Sue: My mantra with diabetes is "Moderation not deprivation." Remember that you can do anything and eat anything you want, though you will need to make modifications. Reach out to others. You're not alone!


About Sue: Sue Rericha is married to her high school sweetheart and the mom of five children. She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March 2008 after having gestational diabetes five times (1993-2004). She started blogging due to disappointment in finding so few Type 2 blogs. Her blog serves as her way to share her joys and frustrations of raising a large family while also dealing with Type 2. Sue’s blog is Diabetes Ramblings and also writes at the collaborative blog, The Type 2 Experience.

Please welcome Sue and keep an eye out for her contributions