May 11, 2015

I Can!



Have you ever thought how life with diabetes can be positive?

Now, if you are sleep deprived at the moment due to a late night fighting blood sugars then you most likely think I'm crazy and will click off this post. I don't blame you...please do and come back to it when you get some rest. 

For some, you may be thinking how can diabetes be positive? I would've never thought that almost ten years ago after my first daughter was diagnosed at the age of four. I felt like my life had flipped upside down and inside out. 

However, after a few months...make that years...when I felt like we had things under control and I'm not talking blood sugar numbers, I'm talking life with diabetes, I started to take notice of the positives. 

My daughter was able to:

  • recognize when her blood sugars where either high or low
  • administer insulin via syringe, insulin pen and eventually the pump
  • advocate on her behalf with teachers, peers and congressmen
  • find a group of friends with T1D who were just like her and knew what she was going through
  • know the effects of different foods and what it does to her blood sugars and how it makes her feel
  • develop a soft heart for those with invisible illnesses
What I was able to do: 
  • recognize how her personality changed due to high and low blood sugars
  • become an honorary nurse...too bad I'm not a licensed nurse...but then I have a terrible bedside manner! :)
  • advocate for others who are unable to advocated for diabetes with school, peers and congressmen
  • find D Moms and D Dads who understand why my hair is crazier looking (more than normal) and I have bags under my eyes
  • S.W.A.G. like a BOSS!!! 
  • develop a soft heart for others with invisible diseases 
I would never wish type one diabetes on anyone. Not every day is easy or positive. However, I CHOOSE to make it positive.