Mar 19, 2012

Film Crews, Blue Shoes and Advocacy


This past Friday, my family had a very unique opportunity. We were asked if we could have a film crew come and interview us during the Promise To Remember Me Campaign and interview us about JDRF, advocacy and D. I'm one of those ALWAYS say Yes type of people; so I did. Oh, did I mention, we were given 24 hour notice and my house was a mess and the school nurse had called to let me know Nora wasn't feeling well and my husband was on his way to pick her up early from school?!?!?! Yep! I like my days CRAZY!! That's how I roll!! The Producer calls me and asks about my affiliation with D and my story. She said she and the film crew would be at my house BEFORE the meeting...at 9am...meaning they would show up at our house at 7:30AM!! Fabulous!! Bring it! So they show up Friday morning. Mic Nora and I up for sound and film us walking out the door (twice), walking to the car, opening the car door and getting in (twice), our drive downtown, walking in downtown Cincy to the Carew Tower, getting on the elevator to meet with Congressman Steve Chabot, when whom should get on our elevator?? but Steve Chabot!! Pretty Cool!  We go up to his office and meet up with JDRF staff and Board Members, families and most importantly, Type 1 kids and adults! Everyone introduces themselves to Mr.Chabot and tells their D story. The cool thing about these meetings is that of the two we have participated in, BOTH the State Rep's have talked to the kids! They engaged them and wanted to know what D was like for them. The kids told them all about D, the good, the bad and the ugly and the State Rep's listened! At the Chabot meeting, he actually asked, "What can I do to help you?" Excuse me...did I hear right??? YES!! He asked how HE could help US!! Amazing!! If you can in anyway participate in this Campaign please DO!! This is better than any Civics lesson my daughter could learn in school. This is a field trip with a purpose and it's THEIR purpose...DIABETES!! To read about the Promise To Remember Me Campaign or to sign up to attend a meeting you can do it here.

But I really need to fill you in on some other things too! Let me say, I am NOT political! I have that awful "I can see both sides to every issue"problem and can't make a decision: Republican, Democrat, Independent. But that didn't stop me from signing up to advocate! I wish I could have as much passion for ALL issues as I do for Diabetes. I don't care what Party you are with ...I'll talk about D to a donkey!! (and an Elephant too!!) :) I'm fighting for Federal Money that is VITAL to research so that a cure can be found!! PERIOD. That's my party affiliation.

The other item I need to share with you was our interview. They interviewed me first and asked me the standard "tell me about the diabetes diagnosis, etc"...you know, the questions you could answer in your sleep! Then she asked me to sell her on why she should be an advocate...why I advocate. This should be a simple answer...I just do!! But she pressed me further...WHY do I advocate. Well, I advocate for Nora. But I advocate for ALL diabetics. I am the voice for the diabetics who can't voice their frustrations and challenges. I am advocating so that ALL diabetics will be Remembered!! Not just my cute daughter, Nora but ALL DIABETICS!! The ones that are right there in the same room with me and the ones who can't be. The one's who are feeling different and don't want people to know they have D...the one's who suffer in silence because they think no one cares about them. But. I. Do! I advocate for YOU! 

They interviewed my daughter next and asked her similar questions too. They asked why she advocates for diabetes (other than to get out of school for a few hours!) she simply said "to get us one step closer to a cure"! Well said! 

The film crew followed us around the house preparing a snack, writing a thank you letter to Congressman Chabot and Nora taking a run around the neighborhood. It was a neat experience...a little touch of reality tv stardom! The purpose of the filming is to recruit new advocates for the Promise To Remember Me Camapaign through our 3-5 min video. They also followed two other families on the West Coast. We can't wait to see the videos and of course will share it with all you Bluetiful peeps when it "airs". (Besides, I had three wardrobe changes with three different pairs of Blue Shoes!! I hope at least one pair makes it on the video!!)

So, besides sharing my day with you I want to leave you with one word...advocacy. You don't have to meet with Members of Congress to advocate for Diabetes Awareness...chances are if you're regularly reading our blog and "like" our fb page and wearing your Blue Heels,  your advocating. But really,  "Why do YOU advocate"?


JDRF Southwest Ohio Chapter Promise To Remember Me Campaign