Mar 2, 2012

HOPE


March 1st marked a National Day of Hope for Diabetes. The DOC flooded the walls of Facebook with pictures of people who had inscribed HOPE on their hands.
Loving Family Hope

It was so inspiring to see all the different ways people displayed their HOPE. Some were simply stated while others went more elaborate. Some didn't even have diabetes but wrote it for support of their family member or friend! That's what is so awesome about the DOC. We are here for each other. I think I can safely say that EVERYDAY is a Day of Hope! You can even see it in Sir Frederick G. Banting Square; the Flame of Hope! It was lit in 1989 and "while the Flame of Hope is a symbol of hope, it is also a reminder that insulin is only a control for diabetes, not a cure. Only when that cure is at last found, will the Flame of Hope be extinguished."  
(taken from http://www.diabetes.ca

Flame of Hope


This got me thinking about everyday signs of HOPE.  Hope can be found  in  the Endo's office, when your Doctor gives you encouraging words. HOPE can be found online through updates on medical advancements. HOPE can be found in your child's eyes. Basically, HOPE can be found anywhere you look....sometimes it's just in the way you look at it. For me, I find HOPE on my drive home from work...on a tree...YES, I said a tree! 
Now, I don't know if this is someone who is just plain lazy and doesn't want to turn their lights off, let alone, take them down but for me I see these blue lights and think diabetes, my daughter, DOC, World Diabetes Day, Blue Heels, support, love...HOPE! This simple little tree sitting in someones front yard is my symbol of Hope! And what if they turn the blue lights off and take them down? Will my Hope be lost? Nope! I've got all of YOU!! <3