Aug 2, 2012

Scary mail...but she's alright...

We've been getting some interesting mail lately now that Evelyn has been diagnosed. My husband works for a company who provides another company to help you manage illness, disease, pregnancy, etc. We, I mean Evelyn, since she is 18, have received some very informative book/pamphlets. One book was a basic diabetes handbook of sorts. Explaining Type 1 and 2 (and I must say, they did a very good job of it!). Do's and don'ts of diabetes health and care. But this last little pamphlet came and it was weird. Now, this ain't my first rodeo, so I don't know how I would react NOT knowing what I know now.

So here it is:
set scene...

Adult woman laying on a pillow, supposedly in her bed, with the caption: "Late one night, Susanne suspected she was suffering from a bad flu. But, she also knew she had skipped measuring her glucose. Worried and not sure what to do..."

then at the bottom of the flier:

Did you know that not checking blood sugar regularly as a diabetic could lead to acute events happening at night?

Open flier:

"...she remembered she could call the Manage Your Health Chronic Condition Management Program for free." 

Then it says:
After talking about her symptoms with a nurse care manager, she learned she was alright. yada, yada, yada...

I think this might have scared me to death as the mother of a newly diagnosed diabetic!! Acute happenings at night...like what?!?! Coma, death? It doesn't say!! But she's alright!

Now, seven years ago, after Nora's diagnosis, I received a call from this Manage Your Health. Telling me to call them with any questions etc. I politely declined saying I live 20 minutes from a start of the art Children's Hospital and would turn to them and my child's Endo if need be. They kept insisting that it was free and to call them when I needed help. That's great but 1. I don't know who these people are 2. They don't know my child 3. Could you imagine me taking their info and it conflicted with what her Endo wants to do?

 Really, I don't know if we are lucky and can call down to the Diabetes Clinic with questions. I can email her Endo and get a reply within a day or if its urgent I call the Endo on Call after hours BUT most of all...Susanne, your alright?!?! Did the Nurse Care Manager tell you, you needed insulin and how much to give based on your personal insulin regime??? Did she tell you to check for ketones?? Did she instruct you on how to get rid of said ketones?? Oh, that's right...it says she's okay.

Maybe, for fun, I should call and see what they say...they should say: "CALL YOUR REGULAR ENDO!!"

But, we are alright!!