Aug 26, 2012

Day 7: Letter



Today I am to write a letter to the D.O.C. and share a story of my own with you.

Well...most of you know all my stories. If I'm not blogging about them then I'm on facebook sharing them with you as they are happening.

However, I will share one that only a few know. I'll give you a quick background...There is a fb group called Hopeful Moms. It was a group created for Moms of positive testing T1 autoantibody kids. We are a small group...very small. We share our worries, sorrows and joys of our non D kids who tested positive. And then we share the worst news ever...the second diagnosis. So, my letter goes to the D.O.C. of Hopeful Moms.

Dear Hopeful Moms,

Thank you for being there for me at 11pm on May 30, 2012. The night my eldest daughter came to me in a state of panic when her blood glucose meter read over 500. As I sat at my computer, killing time before I had to check on my T1D daughter, before finally going to bed, YOU, Hopeful Moms, were the first people I went to.  As I posted that I was freaking out at the blood sugar reading and praying it was a faulty meter, dirty hands, bad battery, surely a trick of a reading...you all were there comforting me. We shared anxious messages back and forth but I could also feel your warm embraces letting me know you where there. 

Even as I called the Endo on call that evening my iPhone kept buzzing with messages being received by you. Then as I told you we were headed to the ER for the dreaded diagnosis I felt you were all right there with me. Even into the wee hours of the night and the next morning you were checking in with me. I was living all of our worst nightmares. The tipover to the D world...AGAIN! 

Thank you is too simple a sentiment. I don't have the words to even convey how much you all meant to me that night and do to this day. And for what its worth...if any of you should happen upon the same road... please know I will be there with you too. You are my friends in D, but truthfully, I consider you my sisters, my family.

Lovingly,

Jen