Aug 7, 2012

Diabetes Camp from a D Momma's perspective


This year Nora had the privilege of being a recipient of an IronAndy Foundation Diabetes Camp Scholarship!! It was an unexpected gift and one that will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't cry often but this brought me to tears. The generosity of someone who doesn't know our family and who is willing to send my daughter to camp...a blessing beyond words.

I signed her up as she gleefully (is that even a word?!) text her D friend to let her know she would be attending camp with her this year. She was so excited!! Not that long after I signed Nora up for camp, Evelyn was diagnosed. Another D Mom emailed me and let me know that Evy could attend camp for FREE and be a Counselor. Well, of course I was all for it!! I know what the DOC does for me, how much Nora values her D friends and it just seemed that Evy should experience the same. Plus I think it's harder on her since she is 18 and starting college trying to find other diabetics her own age. So I figured, what better place to meet other diabetics than Diabetes Camp!! I worked on her...she was a little hesitant. Being gone from home that long. Away from her boyfriend...you know, teen things!! But she decided to go and I'm glad she did!! (I think she is glad she went too!)

Last week I packed them up and dropped them off at Camp Korelitz. They had to pack enough insulin supplies (site changes, syringes, reservoirs) but NO insulin OR meter. Talk about feeling naked! But the camp supplied it ALL!! I kissed them good bye put Jackson in the car and off we went! No girls, no diabetes bags and minimal worry.

I have to say, I kept expecting them to call me with blood sugar numbers. But no calls. After about the second day I relaxed realizing they wouldn't call unless something bad was happening. So I chilled. Enjoyed time with my 4 year old. Went to the pool. Played. Fixed meals. I still saved all the labels from the meals I was making ready to shout out carb totals! But they weren't there. It really is a strange feeling to serve a meal and not have to tell someone what to give themselves. Jackson does ask occasionally how much insulin he needs and then pretends to punch the numbers in an imaginary pump. He keeps insisting he has DIABETES FACTOR!! (Factor is the name of the blood clotting drug he gets twice a week!)

I was able to sleep through the night at least 3 times last week. Funny how sleeping through the night gives you so much energy for the day. I could make it through dinner without a face plant in my plate! It gave me a much needed break. In fact I vote for diabetes camp twice a year; that way the D Caregivers get a  week vacation from D every six months! Sounds like heaven...

It kinda made me sad; but just a little bit. It made me remember what life was like BEFORE diabetes. Carefree. Eat when you want. Sleep through the night. Not feverishly looking up carb counts for restaurants on Calorie King. (I can't tell you how many times I get looks at the dinner table from my well meaning family members thinking I'm checking my emails or surfing the net when I am trying to find a count for something that most everybody has already eaten!). Easier times for sure.

Sunday came and it was time to pick the girls up. I was excited to see them but so dreading the diabetes. Couldn't I just leave D there at camp and then conveniently forget to pick it back up? Nora had made so many friends. She even found her long lost D buddy from younger days of her going to diabetes day camp!! They hugged and didn't want to let go. Evy was in charge (with other Counselors) of 14 nine year olds! They loved her and hugged her tight. Those are the moments that make me know that it was so worth it. They will NEVER feel that way with their everyday friends at school or teammates. These D friends create a bond that goes far deeper than any friendship they will ever have or us Non-D people will ever understand.

Evy and her girls!


So I will thank the IronAndy Foundation again (I'm sure they wish I would shut up!!) a million times over for giving Nora this opportunity that we just couldn't and for giving this D Momma a much needed break!

To read more about or donate to this wonderful foundation please visit them HERE.