Oct 9, 2012

Blue Heel Society "Fan Of The Week' is Trish Prather

Thanks to the generosity of the Developers of our BHS Fan Of The Week (FOTW) Application, we have a full working version of their Top Fan Application that allows us to showcase our Bluetiful peeps, based on computer magic (Randomness) & multiple interaction factors on our Facebook Page.

This weeks Fan of the Week (FOTW) is Trish Prather, and we asked Ms. Prather to answer a few questions as to learn a little more about her.

BHS: Connection w/ diabetes?
TP: My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 12 months old, exactly 2 weeks after his birthday.

BHS: General geographic location?
TP: We are from the Atlanta, GA area but we live in Central FL since diagnosis in 2007

BHS: What blue shoe (Heel, sneaker, riding shoe, etc.) suits you & Why?
TP: Honestly, I'm a flip-flops girl all the way.

BHS: What does advocacy mean to you?
TP: The lack of advocacy and awareness almost cost me my son's life. I was so ignorant to the disease that I wasn't even sure how many types there are and had never heard of a child with it. My son was in severe DKA by the time I realized it wasn't "just a stomach virus", because I never knew all the symptoms that I noticed actually meant something like diabetes.

BHS: Blog/site/twitter/organization
TP: I shamefully haven't blogged in about a year. My Facebook DOC family is what keeps me sane. Without them I would be alone in this D battle.

BHS: Words of wisdom/encouraging statement/general statement about diabetes?
TP: I do not have a diabetic child, I have a child with diabetes. I treat the child first, the diabetes second.

Congrats again to Ms. Prather, and the BHS Team thanks each & every one of YOU for being a part of our Family.