Oct 30, 2012

Walk a mile in Blue Heels? Nah....Rebel Race in 'em.

Since the inception of Blue Heel Society....almost a year ago ( our baby is getting soooo big!!), I have had the privilege of meeting a compliment of wonderful people who totally get what it is we do here! I see so many of our allies out there raising tons of money and awareness for all the right causes. Makes me well up with tears most days, because it's very personal to me and to know so many people want to see diabetes eradicated means more than words can ever describe.

Most of my days are not spent training in a gym, or cycling through the continent, or blogging or anything not centered around caring for my four kids.....yeah...that's my glamorous life...and I love it....

HOWEVER....I was recently beaten at thumb-rasslin' by *you know who* and agreed to do something called a Rebel Race...I was fairly certain that regardless of that unflattering sounding title...eh, I was in. We were doing it under the Blue Heel Society, recruited some really amazing friends and family to join us, raising awareness for diabetes....yada yada.

Ho. Lee. Chit. NOT what I expected it to be.... This is quite different than scoring the Jessica Simpson wedge from a hoard of teenage girls in Marshall's...this is most certainly like boot camp before death.

For me, anyways.

Let me paint the picture here for you, lambs...the premise is that you run for like 500 miles uphill in Geisha shoes, then you have this obstacle course of most assured manicure ruining little stations like carrying a lion wrapped in barbed wire on your back through a sewer pipe....then, to finish off, you run some more....covered in mud, the kind not found in Serenity Day Spa...and potentially a gaping scrape or blister that will definitely require closed toe shoes for dinner given via a straw by what I can only assume will be a nurse in training....while I am on my death bed.  Sounds awesome right? Everyone is IN!!

This race ain't nuthin compared to what my child with diabetes, my family, my friends, and their loved ones do day in....day out....either with medications, diets, pumps, blood glucose meters, and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears....and a whole lotta giggles, while having no other choice.

Rebel Race will be one moment in time for me to say, this sucks, I'm doing it anyways. My child pricks his little finger 15 times a day....changes a pump site every other day.....If I could move the diabetes *mountain* and my only tool was a teaspoonful of dirt at a time..... for him, I would do it every second of every day....and as I really began to think about it....this race ain't no different.

I will most definitely bring a Hello Kitty Band-aid kit. And the overwhelming support from you with me as I embarrass myself proper, in the name that is all too familiar. Diabetes.

Wanna come laugh your hiney off at me? Join our team, volunteer, come cheer Team Blue Heel Society on as we get a little mud on our heels.