Oct 14, 2012

Nora's Post #2: What a Cure Would Mean to Me:

Here is part 2 of Nora's application to JDRF's Children's Congress. If you've missed any you can find the original post HERE and  read her post #1.

When I read her the question she had to answer she immediately said she didn't want a cure. Well...that won't work for Children's Congress! I mean, after all, it's about getting the Special Diabetes Fund renewed...which funds research, cure, preventing and improving the lives of T1D. So, I started talking to her about the complications that can come with having T1D. Kidney, liver, eye, feet problems, etc. She thinks about it and says, "but, Mom, I wouldn't be me without my diabetes!" And then I talked to her about when she gets her cure, she could go around talking about how life was with diabetes. How hard it was to take care of herself. That diabetes has made her strong and independent. So with my words of wisdom off she went to write her response.

And here it is:


Why a cure is important to me:

A cure is important to me because I wouldn’t have to worry about dying. I wouldn’t have to worry 
that much about my organs and body.  I would feel “normal”. A cure would be great! I could eat non 
stop without bolusing for my food. I would feel free and I could do more stuff with a cure. I wouldn’t 
be asked so many questions a day. I would love a cure BUT I wouldn’t be me. I wouldn’t be as strong 
or independent as I am now!