May 16, 2013

Accomplishing Diabetes Big and Small


Today I will share with you one of my smallest accomplishments that will hopefully have a BIG impact.

Empowering my girls.

In our house, we have the motto, "You CAN do ANYTHING."

We don't let D stop us.

Well we try to not let it stop us. High blood sugars and ketones sometimes win out but not too often. Chasing low blood sugars sometimes come in delaying fun (or sleep for this D Momma) but we keep moving forward. I don't want my kids to feel like victims...I want them to feel like kids; that can do anything; and just happen to have diabetes.

Since Nora was little I've taught her to speak up if she is feeling bad. To get up out of her seat and head to the Nurses office REGARDLESS of telling the teacher or not. To ask for help if she needs it. To stand her ground and educate people who question her about diabetes. I'd like to think that this has rubbed off on Evelyn too as she can be very outspoken if she is passionate about something.

I know I won't be around forever to fight their battles.

I want them to be able to do that for themselves.