May 27, 2013

Life WITHOUT diabetes...the caregivers perspective


Our good friend, Ginger Vieira, shares vlog's weekly about different diabetes topics. She's a great source of knowledge when it comes to D as she was dx'd T1D at the age of 13. She's a Diabetes Coach, freelance writer and holds records in powerlifting. She's written books too and she's just an awesome role model. I enjoy watching her vlog's and her Life WITHOUT diabetes really stuck with me. You can view it below:



So it got me thinking...I had lots of time to think as I've been painting our downstairs bathroom (FINALLY)...long story...ANYWAY...

In our family we are coming up on some LIVE-a-versary's. Nora's is 6-13-05 and Evy's is 6-1-12. We are 8 years in with dealing with diabetes. It's hard to remember what life was like before D entered uninvited. If D was suddenly cured...like tomorrow...it would feel weird NOT to do the following:


  • Have my phone attached to me...what if I miss a call from school? 
  • Pack lunch with a carb count
  • Count carbs
  • Look at nutritional labels
  • SWAG...I even find myself doing this for the NON-D kid in the house
  • Worry about playing sports and a low
  • Standardized testing and if Nora is low/high
  • Getting to know not only our Endo but the staff by name and their family!
  • Knowing Children's Hospital's parking garage by heart
  • SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT
  • Worrying if my daughter's will make it through the night while at a sleepover
  • Nagging about taking blood sugars/bolusing/site changes
  • TRAVELING MINUS ONE BAG that is designated as the medical supply bag
  • Knowing the Kroger pharmacy staff
  • Talking to the school Nurse daily...sometimes more
  • Worrying about activity, colds, stress, menstrual cycles, mood swings and how it affects D
  • Walking out the door without saying "you have low supplies?"
  • Carrying a smaller purse that doesn't have glucagon, pump supplies, batteries, alcohol swabs and smarties
  • Having a kitchen cabinet that actually has plates and kitchen products NOT D supplies stocked
  • Sending my kid on a school field trip without signing my life away on a medical information form
  • Worry about my kids emotional and physical well being
  • Worry about the complications 
  • worry...worry...worry
It looks like a worry a lot...I do...but I try not to let it show. I try to stay upbeat, positive and encouraging. I would hate my worry to rub off on my girls and stop them from doing something. (Unless it's something they shouldn't be doing!) I can't imagine life without worry...or if the biggest thing I had to worry about was their overbite. Pffft...overbites ain't nothing compared to D!

I'm sure you can add your own ideas to the list above.  When diabetes is cured I'll be more than happy to feel weird about NOT worrying about these things but I know I will anyway. Until then...