Apr 10, 2014

Day 10: And the Winner Is... #HAWMC



And the Winner Is...US!

Today's prompt asks us to write an acceptance speech. We are on stage, holding our trophy and we need to thank whom? How did we get to where we are today. Technically, this post is supposed to be first person but I'm no more special than each of you doing what I do day in and day out. So the award goes to US!

I'd like to thank diabetes. Yes, you read that right...diabetes. Without this wretched disease I wouldn't know any of you. There would be no DOC. No Blue Heel Society. No walk teams. No ride teams. No diabetes support groups. So as much as I despise D I'd like to thank it that much more. Because of D I know you. We have the best on-line community EVER. Need supplies? Sent. Need to rant? Go. Need a hug? You'll have more virtual hugs in 1 minute than the amount of discarded test strips you'll find in your house...and that's a LOT!

We all arrived *here* the same way. While each story is unique to us it starts with the same diagnosis...diabetes. And did you notice I said "starts" NOT ends. Because it's not an end. It's a beginning. It's a journey, albeit, a roller coaster of a journey but we are all in this together. We care, support and welcome. As we have all been *there*.

So, the winner is me, its YOU, its US!! And each of us is a winner. Days may be rough, others smooth but we've got this. Count each little detail as a win. You checked blood sugars 5 times today? Win. You prebolused your dinner? Win. You started your day and remembered to restock your Diabetes bag? Win.

I, YOU, WE are winners!