Apr 13, 2014

Day 13: "These are a few of my favorite things" #HAWMC

Just me and the Artificial Pancreas! 

Today I'm going to share my favorite thing and it's not even mine...yet. I had the opportunity to have breakfast with Tom Brobson; the artificial pancreas guy. The artificial pancreas project is funded by JDRF and you can learn about it here. I'm not here to debate organizations, whom to fund and politics. Throw all that out the window. I had breakfast with an artificial pancreas human trial participant. Let that sink in for a minute. To be able to sit across the table from a man who has T1D, participated in a human trial for the artificial pancreas, had tighter control and didn't have to worry about diabetes for 3 days was a dream come true. You can see his video here. My head was spinning with a million questions and inside I was squealing like a little girl. Tom Brobson is like Diabetes Royalty. To hear of his experiences. The excitement in the project. Things that are being worked on. Just truly amazing! And then...to be able to actually hold the artificial pancreas. As one of my friends said, "it was like holding the hope diamond"! Who knew this little smart phone would have such an impact. To see where technology is going and actually hold it and know that my girls could be wearing it!!! No, it's not a cure but I'll take this advancement while they are working on it. 

Closer look of the Artificial Pancreas!!