Apr 28, 2014

Day 28 of WEGO Health #HAWMC: "Dear 16-year-old-me"





When pondering today's prompt to "Write a letter to yourself at age 16. What would you tell yourself? What would you make your younger self aware of?, one of the things I had to remember was that yes, I actually was 16 at one time.

When I was 16 our Nation was in turmoil over the Vietnam War, actually a "Conflict" as Congress did not declare a War. I felt I had to do SOMETHING to be a part of the resolution and to have a voice for those whom could not. I knew that if I helped be that voice, at least I knew I tried. I came up with a plan to make a call to those in power, that could actually do something. I was aware of our Allies at that time and thought that if I contacted these 'Powers', they would listen. Simple right? The first person I thought of to contact was the Queen of England. Who better to share my voice with as she was Leader of our biggest Allie's.

Another scandal at that time was the "Watergate" mess brewing in the Executive branch of our Government. I was dumbfounded of how this scandal could even happen. I was taught that the office of the POTUS was almost sacred, and always right, and something that always deserved our utmost respect. I could not comprehend why this was happening. I knew that if I called President Nixon, he would listen to me and make a change to stop Watergate, as well as the Vietnam Conflict. Piece of cake right?

I first called President Nixon, and actually made it all the way to his executive Secretary. She was very kind and told me he was 'busy', and what message did I want him to get. I was offended that the POTUS was too busy to take my call. She told me he would get the message and to "have a nice day'.

I then called the Queen of England and was told the same, she was too busy for me. WHAT...too busy for me?. Somehow made it to her Secretary as well. Keep in mind that my namesake "Saint Thomas More" [or Moore], was a historical figure associated with England. Took my message and told me to have a nice day.

By that time in the morning my Mom woke up, started her daily ritual of getting us kids ready for School. Then the phone rang. She looked at me and said "I wonder who is calling us that early?". She answered, said hello, and heard someone on the other end with a deep accent. I saw her get outraged, then looked at me, then said "no, he [me] will NOT take the call. Seems as if the Queens private Secretary was calling me back with the Queen holding to take my call, and my Mom would not let me.

What I would tell my 16 year old self, was to always be persistent. I would also tell my 16 year old self was to always shoot for the top...of everything.