Apr 20, 2014

Day 20 #HAWMC Travel Time

Day 20 #HAWMC asks us to share: "if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why? We also know traveling with a chronic illness can be challenging, so any tips for others that you can share would be great!"

Hmm...I've always said I would love to travel to England and stay long enough to pick up the accent. I've always had an obsession with British accents; hunky British men and I would be remiss if I didn't mention British history...maybe one day. Having three kids with chronic illness; two of which are T1D, makes travel dollars non-existent.

We DID manage to travel to Florida last year during Spring Break and that was the FIRST long distance travel we had done in seven years! Let me be clear about this. Our lack of travel wasn't due to D. That wasn't it at all. It was lack of funds, scheduling issues and it just wasn't a priority to "get away". But last year it was a priority. We needed the beach. So we went.

As some of our readers know, my son is a severe hemophiliac (aka bleeder). So I had one whole suitcase dedicated to diabetes and hemophilia. I was also armed with a list of hospitals in the area should anything happen. Best tip: pack for the worst case scenario. If you don't think it can happen to you while on vacation...guess what?! It WILL!! So pack *it*! Also be sure to carry your insurance cards, letters from the Doctor of medical condition and medical necessity and phone numbers to your Endo office. Look, travel is fun but it's stressful too. I don't just worry if I packed my toothbrush and my underwear...it's did I pack the life saving insulin and blood clotting factor for my kids!! People with chronic illness travel ALL the time so don't let that stop you. I'm suggesting with some planning you can have a fun, relaxing and prepared vacation!