Apr 21, 2014

Day 21 #HAWMC Reflection

Today we are asked to reflect on our journey to this day, what are your thoughts and hopes for the future.

Our family has been on this journey since 2005 when Nora was diagnosed on June 13th. I would have never thought my eldest would have shared the same diagnosis 7 years later. The journey has always been rough. New challenges to deal with and diabetes along for the ride. I wasn't always outspoken or a force to be reckoned with...until I had kids and realized they needed a voice that could be heard. Our family has met some incredible people in the Diabetes community locally and even on line through the DOC. Never did I think I would count these people as family. Diabetes has been the worst curse yet biggest blessing to our family. It has shown us how strong we are individually and how strong our bond is as a family. Our journey is on-going.

My hopes for the future are cautiously optimistic. The more I read, hear, see and physically touch the more excited I get for the future. I held the Artificial Pancreas display device in my hand. I've seen prototypes of the beta cell encapsulation.

Is it a cure? No.

Is it advancement? YES! The advancement I've seen since 2005 has been incredible.

Am I impatient? You bet!  But I have hope.

This year is a year that I can really say I'm thinking about what the future holds. Before I have been so wrapped up in the day to day that the future seemed so out of reach but now it doesn't seem so far away. My hope is for a cure but until then my hope is for better medical advancements so that my girls will be healthy enough for a cure.