Apr 24, 2015

Day 24 #HAWMC: Fitness Friday

How do I maintain a healthy lifestyle? What is my favorite exercise? How do I manage fitness with a chronic illness?


I have shared before that I enjoy running. I am currently training for a big marathon here in Cincinnati, Ohio; it's the Flying Pig. I am running the half marathon which is 13.1 miles. I have run the half twice before but this year I have committed to train with a running group. I didn't think I would like it but it has turned out to be fun running with others. Plus I have had a run scheduled every Tuesday evening and Saturday morning since January no matter the weather conditions. My hubby has our one car garage (sometimes much to my dismay) set up as a gym with flat/incline benches, weights, roman chair, straight bars and punching bags. I like to join him out there for strength training but don't get out there as often as I would like. I also like to take walks with my son to the local library. It's about 4 blocks over and as he said yesterday on our walk, "this gives us good talking time"!. Our family is constantly moving so being active is not only necessary but a way of life for us.

Both of my girls who are Type 1 maintain an active lifestyle through sports, work and school. My 14 year old is in sports year round. In fact, a few years ago she begged me to home school her so she could do sports all day long...that was a big NO!! She has been in competitive sports for a few years now but has chosen to focus on basketball. She endures the extra practices and self motivated work outs while trying to maintain an in range blood sugar (insert cynical laugh...in range?!?...we try!!). It's hard. She has the delayed lows six hours later on top of possible lows during practice and games. We are trying all types of different variables to keep her in range and on the court as much as possible. She has always been one of my on the go kids. She has to be active...constantly.

My 20 year old played sports up through high school. She is now in college, working, interning and helping a teen T1D with her diabetes support group. She was diagnosed just after she graduated high school but she finds that even walking around the mall shopping can make her blood sugar drop. She works retail so often times if they are super busy or she is running from the front of the store to the back of the store she will have a low blood sugar.

It's a fine balance and I have found that even though both my girls have T1D it is a completely different beast in both of them. The bottom line is that they both enjoy doing things and having highs/lows may side line them for the moment; it doesn't stop them from doing what they love.

My T1D girls at Diabetes Camp!