Apr 7, 2015

Day 6 #HAWMC: World Health Day

Today is World Health Day and I am to share with you how diet and nutrition changed after diagnosis. When my middle daughter was 4 years old and we were in the hospital learning how to care for her new diagnosis of T1D we were given the option of bolusing before or after meals. Thinking about her being 4 and a somewhat picky eater I opted for the bolusing after meals. I never wanted food to be a fight meaning I didn't want to have to force her to finish her meal because I had just bolused for the full meal nor did I want to give her smarties or some fast acting carbs instead of her eating her healthy meal. Bottom line I didn't want food to control us. Almost 10 years later she will only bolus before meals if she knows she will eat all of her meal and it ends up being about 1-2 meals a day that she knows she will finish. The others she will bolus immediately after she is done eating. I know it isn't the best as the insulin is behind in working but it works for her. Also, I have never restricted food. She can eat whatever she wants. Both of my T1D girls can. When my middle daughter was younger I may have delayed when she could have a treat but she always was able to get it. So what do I mean by delay? Let's say her blood glucose had been on the higher side throughout the day and we've been pumping insulin in her and have switched out her pump site but for whatever reason her BG wasn't cooperating I would push the water and carb free snacks (if she was hungry) to get her BG down but then when she was in range she was allowed to have her treat. As she has gotten older she makes these choices by herself. She realizes how she feels like total crap when her BG is higher and having a 1/2 cup of ice cream isn't make her feel any better until she is in a good range. My thought is I never wanted her to feel ashamed of eating or sneak food because I restricted it. She's educated enough by living with diabetes for almost 10 years that she knows what to eat and when to delay a higher carb treat. So in our house our kids can have their cake and eat it too with a nice bolus...we call that #bolusworthy. I usually have a nice selection of fruits, veggies and proteins in the house...although not at the moment...I need to go to the grocery! My kids are also very active and exercise is important to them....even if it's just walking around college campus...my kids are always moving. It takes a good balance of nutrition and exercise to help achieve good BG numbers, HOWEVER, you all know that sometimes it just doesn't matter and you will still have funky numbers. But eating right and exercising never hurt anyone!! I am by no means a doctor or dietitian but it works for our family...do what's best for yours!