Apr 30, 2015

#HAWMC: Combo post

I'm a slacker...actually, I'm not...I'm just super busy and didn't have the time to blog yesterday. So you get a combo post today!

Day 29: Product Review ~ One thing I love about the Diabetes Online Community is that we are willing to share all our favorite gadgets, diabetes supplies and tricks of the trade. A product that we have used for some time and LOVE is the Accu-Check Fastclix. No need to ever touch or accidentally prick your non diabetic finger ever again!! Instead of an individual lancet there are six lancets in a drum that you never see. You insert the drum into the device and voila...hold the device to your finger, press the button and blood is drawn from your finger. We previously used the Multiclix but Fastclix is quicker and easier. No cocking the device...it's locked and loaded (so to speak). It's a simple device but sometimes simple is good!

Accu-Check Fastclix


Day 30: I Wish I Would Have Known ~ I'm not sure...because anything you would've told me 10 years ago I wouldn't have believed anyway. Our world came crashing down with a Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) with my 4 year old and we didn't have a clue. I've always had the Momma Bear personality but it kicked in big time in 2004. I was able to find support locally thru our JDRF Chapter and a local support group. They were life savers. I had to get involved and feel like I could DO something. Years later I found the Diabetes Online Community (DOC) and again...life saver. To know that I have support a key stroke away, no matter if I am texting a D Mom or messaging them on Facebook, I know they are there for me. I think I had to muddle through a few years and find our new normal to be the Mom I am today. So, in a way, I'm glad I didn't know anything. It made me a fighter. It made me stronger. It made me find my voice and purpose.