Apr 9, 2015

WEGO blog challenge Day 9 - 'Challenger' #HAWMC


WEGO blog challenge Day 9 -  'Challenger'


Today we are prompted to write about a time we had to overcome a daunting challenge. 

One word...Cancer. 

Skin Cancer as in Basal Cell Carcinoma to be exact. 

The word stigma comes to mind defined as "a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person".

I don't agree in my case as a mark of disgrace. It was and still remains as a mark on my face, but no disgrace.

Twenty one days of radiation therapy kicked it's little ass big time, and as of my last dermatologist appointment was still GONE. Only thing remaining is a scar on my face to be reminded of the battle. The battle I won for now.

One of the hardest parts was getting to the radiation appointments. THAT was a battle that was overcome. The actual hardest part was being the Patient not the Caregiver. I was not used to being on that side of things. 

Surrounding myself with people I love who's advice I take was the key. Not very different with any diagnosis for any reason.

I made it because of them...