Apr 8, 2015

WEGO blog challenge Day 8 - Things Remembered #HAWMC

WEGO blog challenge Day 8 - Things Remembered



Today we are asked to write about 'Things Remembered'. What is an item you have kept with you that reminds you of an important time in your life? Whether it was a good day, a stressful time, or a happy moment… why does this item remind you of that period of your life?

One of the few items I have to remember my Dad is a shell casing from one of the 21 rounds fired during his Funeral. One of the few things I have from my Mom is a spitoon. These items have significant meaning to me and how my Parents lived their lives.

My Dad joined the military at the age of 17. He had to get a waiver for his age in order to enlist. He was honored at his funeral services with a 21 gun salute. I had the honor of being able to salute him for real, not just in spirit. This is significant because we  were raised to NOT be violent towards any other human or animal. So having the shell casing is a reminder to treat others as I would want to be treated by them...the "Golden Rule".

My Mom was a chain smoker for most of her adult life. One of the items she left behind is a spitoon, An antique worthy of remembering for after 40 years or so my Mom quit smoking...cold turkey. The importance of remembering that living as healthy of a life as possible is what I get from that. And in fairness to my Mom it was never used for it's intended use.