May 26, 2012

An Impromptu Blog...

I hadn't planned on writing a blog this evening but in our diabetes world there is little to get excited about or even be happy about.

However...

Today, I am happy, proud, excited and a little (just a little) bit sad.

My daughter has many pen pal Diabetes Sisters that she tries to keep up with. One in particular has iMessages so all day today they've been messaging back and forth. She comes downstairs and let's me know that she needs an insulin pump site change today AND... she's going to do it.

What?!?! "Yep, I'm going to do it!" okay I asked if she wanted me to draw up the insulin in her reservoirs and she said "no, I'm doing it!!"

okay...

I did end up helping her with that part...I mean with the air bubbles and all that but I showed her how to do it and let her do it. She rewinds the pump, fills the line and preps her tummy for the site.

She is shaking like a leaf. I show her how to pull back and set the site (she uses the Mio's), how to put it up against her skin, push it and then pull back again so the site stays. She keeps trying and is nervous so I offer up my tummy. This makes her feel so much better! (Nice for her to poke me for once!! and I'd do it a million times over for her!!)

Next up...her tummy! It takes her a couple of times to line it up where she wants it but...

she did it!! 

Twin pumpers! Nora and mine! 

I am one proud D Momma here!! I'm also a little sad...it means she is getting older, showing independence and replacing us. I know that this will happen eventually. I just remember a sweet younger Nora who asked her Daddy if he would always do her pump sites. His reply, "I'll come to your house when your in your 20's and do your site changes for you."

No need now.

My baby girl is growing up!

This also makes me happy. It means she is growing confident in herself to take on a responsibility like pump site changes. I can't take all the credit in helping her build confidence. I give credit to her pen pal Diabetes Sisters. They are there for each other when they are feeling crummy and having a bad D day and they are there to share the joys of big and little D accomplishments. For that bond I will always be grateful.

Tonight we celebrate D and all the good things that happen because of it.

Good job Nora, good job!