May 7, 2012

Guest Post: Diabetic Sister Life: Alone



Welcome to a new Guest blogger for Blue Heel Society, Evelyn Loving, the Daughter of our very own Chief Content Officer, Jen. She is a Senior at McNicholas High School and will be graduating in just 2 weeks!! Evelyn has a soft heart for kids, especially her brother and sister that both have medical issues. She puts up with a lot, asks little in return and offers her insight, as a sister of a diabetic. As a parent if you've ever wondered how your kids without D feel...here is Evelyn's perspective:

ALONE

Don't you hate it when you are alone? When you are the only on sitting at a table during lunch and no one is talking to you? Or when you are in class and everyone is in their little circle and you're left by yourself? Yeah, it straight up sucks. This is sometimes how I feel with my family. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my family! I really do, but sometimes I do feel like that girl at the lunch table by herself. Even though I am a pre-diabetic I still don't get the attention that I want. I'm not saying that I want 100% of attention, but I know that my family does love me and cares for me its just hard because I do have Jackson with a medical problem, and of course my sister.

My mom does A LOT for diabetes and A LOT for my sister, which is great! She is "Super Mom" haha. But no one really sees what I do. There was this one time where my mom told me a story about this little girl who died because her parents didn't hear her pump going off. Ever since she told me that story, I now sleep in the same room as my sister. Even when I have friends come and spend the night I do still stay in the same room as her. I worry about her 24/7.

There is never a time when I am not thinking about her or what she is doing or what her blood sugar is. It is something that I do stress about if I'm not with her, and not everyone sees that. I just want people to know that any sickness or anything can really change another person's life. And also even though I don't get the attention that I want, I still know that my parents love me, and that they really do care about me. They would do ANYTHING for me. Just don't forget to show love to others even if they don't have diabetes or any sickness. We want to feel loved too!