May 28, 2012

"Dear Diabetes" - A Poem by Tanya Alexander-Thomas


We are happy to share another contribution in our "Dear Diabetes" Feature we were lucky to stumble upon. When we contacted the author about reprinting her "Hello, Type1" poem here is that Ms. Thomas had to say:

"Oh my....it was over a year ago that I wrote that! I had actually forgotten about it! I looked at your BlueHeelSociety.org site, and would be pleased and honored if you would share my poem. Thank you for asking permission! 

Sincerely, Tanya Thomas"




Hello, Type 1
by Tanya Thomas


I guess we haven't met.

But if you think you're taking over
Well, you ain't seen nothing yet!
We are the anchors, the fighters,
... The heroes called Mom and Dad.
And believe me when I tell you
We're the worst enemy you've ever had.
Our children are our lives
And we believe in support and prayer.
Though we don't have a way of beating you
They are constantly in our care.
We'll make sure the lives they lead
Are as normal as can be.
They will run, jump, dance and play sports.
They'll eat what they want,
and we'll adjust accordingly.
You may have been a set-back
But you don't have complete control.
Managing you and wiping you out
Has become our only goal.
We will fight you 'til the end
And we'll make a lot of noise...
We are a force to be reckoned with....

We are the parents of type 1 girls and boys!!




If you would like to submit your own "Dear Diabetes" contribution you can email them to us HERE