Apr 28, 2012

Day 28: I remember the first time I....

changed Nora's insulin pump site. It was a Sunday early afternoon. She had just been put on the pump just the Friday before so technically we had another day to go before a change was needed. But for some reason the area around her site looked a little red so I decided I should change it. I knew what to do...my husband and myself had gone to the pump training class. I think I stuck the fake skin pad a thousand times that Friday just so I would feel comfortable sticking my child. My hubby had decided, during our training, that he wanted to play the major role as "Pump Site Changer".  I agreed since I took care of everything else diabetes-wise I was happy to have him step up and take this role on. But I still did the training, just in case.

Back to that Sunday...
We were scheduled to help at a Fresh Market/JDRF event at 1pm that day. I had called Joe at work to let him know Nora's site didn't look all that great and that I was going to change it.He offered to come home for moral support. Well by now it's noon and we have about a 30min drive to get to the Fresh Market/JDRF event. I told him we would be fine so I got prepped to change her site.

I'm nervous. I'm shaking. I'm sweating. But I can do this. 

The key was trying to come across calm to my daughter. I am getting ready to insert the needle when it just slides across  her belly. It won't go in!! I try again...and again, it won't go in. So I'm puzzled. Until I realize I forgot to take off the protective sleeve that covers the needle. DUH!! So we kinda laugh about it and try, for real now. It went in, Nora was okay and I DID IT!! A wave of relief swept through me...YES, I can do it!!  It scared me to death but I did it!!