Apr 18, 2012

"I'm no one special...and I CAN save the world."

Today's Writer's Challenge was to open a book at random, point to a phrase and blog away.

So I picked up my copy of  A Cure for Emma, One Mother's Journey to Oz by Julie Colvin.


(Julie is a fellow D Momma who writes about her spiritual journey after her daughter's diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes. If you haven't had the chance to read it, you should!!)

So I opened up the book and I'll be honest...the first phrase was about plummeting blood sugars. UGH!! I just wasn't feeling it...I deal with that daily. So I flipped the pages one more time and sincerely landed on

"I'm no one special...and I CAN save the world"!!

How often do we think that..."I'm no one special"?? I think that often. I'm just a mom who takes care of her kids, of which two out of three happen to have different life threatening medical conditions...I'm no one special.
I just DO. 

I wake up every morning, get the kids ready for school, fix lunches, grocery shop, pick kids up, fix dinner, help with homework, drive to sporting events, do dishes, get the kids to bed...all routine things that many of you all do. Nothing special in all that, right?

So, how can I...whose no one special, save the world? Baby steps...take baby steps. Get involved!! I'm not talking about becoming the Executive Director of a Diabetes Organization. Smaller scale...just call and offer your help. Attend a diabetes function, stuff envelopes, answer phone calls, mentor a newly diagnosed family, wear your blue heels, organize an event to raise diabetes awareness.

 Again, GET INVOLVED!! 

Even if it's just one of those ways I mentioned...DO IT! You volunteering unites ALL of us for the greater cause...finding a cure and SAVING THE WORLD!!