Apr 11, 2013

Day 11 of #HAWMC: Favorites

Today's challenge is to share my favorite health app on my iPhone. Well...I don't have a favorite app for my iPhone...I have one for my iPad. It's called My Healthy Tale and it's a diabetes app for kids. It is something that I wish I had when my then 4 year old daughter was in the hospital with her diagnosis.

The My Healthy Tale app is best described here:


"My Healthy Tale is a fun-filled educational tool that teaches children how to manage their diabetes through story telling and answering questions along the way. The best part is, My Healthy Tale tracks the learning progress of the child and informs them and their parents on how well they are learning and provides tips to get better! Whether you are newly diagnosed or just need help managing your diabetes, My Healthy Tale is for you!" 

The reason I like this app is that it helps the child understand why you, the caregiver, are doing the poking, sticking, carb counting, weighing, monitoring of diabetes. When I look back at Nora's diagnosis in 2005 there was nothing out on the market to help her understand why we were doing all this to her. In her mind we were coming at her with needles and hurting her. This app walks through a typical day and uses diabetes words (that unfortunately they learn too quick) and explains, in an easy to understand way, what you need to do to care for diabetes.  The My Healthy Tale app is geared for ages 4+ but I will tell you, Nora who is 12, was just as intrigued with it and said she really wished this was available years ago. 

More stories are being created, as well as, being designed to fit the iPhone and made available as an iPhone option. Nora and I were privileged to meet the developer of the My Healthy  Tale app and weigh in with our diabetes knowledge. Seeing an idea in the early stages and following it through to helping T1D kids has been wonderful. Best of all...the app is FREE!! It's available through iTunes but remember it's only for iPad's right now. I'll be keeping you posted on more to come from My Healthy Tale!