Apr 12, 2013

Day 12 of #HAWMC: Hindsight

Julie with our 1st Granddaughter Mia Moore

If you could go back in time and talk to yourself (or your loved one) on the day of diagnosis, what
would you say?

This topic hit's really close to home as I am reminded of a conversation I had with my Father after my Mom passed away. He shared how while sitting in the mortuary saying his last goodbye's, he spent an hour apologizing to my Mom for not being more sensitive to her needs, not allowing her to work after us kids were a little older, and basically for not really knowing her likes and dislikes. He felt he held her back from enjoying the things in life that he didn't know she liked.

I live life everyday keeping those thoughts very close to my heart, and work tirelessly making sure I don't have to do the same with my favorite Diabetic, my Wife Julie. Am I guilty of some of this, yes I am.

If I could go back to the day of diagnosis, I would tell myself that first and foremost, I love Julie unconditionally, and to carry that love into my duties of a Caregiver. I would also remind me that I am a Friend and Husband first. I would make sure that I knew to not smother her in everything diabetes. I would especially tell myself that understanding, patience, and being foregiving must be paramount to anything. I would tell myself to try extra hard to not be the 'Diabetes Police', especially as I separate Caregiving duties from Advocate duties.

But the most important thing I would tell myself, is that no matter what...we got this!